So, why have been hashtags like Twitter ban, WhatsApp ban, Facebook ban, Instagram ban and different associated ones trending in India on Tuesday, May 25? Well, that’s as a result of the brand new IT guidelines and pointers come into impact beginning today, May 26. This means, all social media platforms will have to adjust to the brand new IT guidelines and laws.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp and extra to be banned? No.
To shut all rumours circulating on the web, let’s clarify in 10 fast factors – what do the brand new IT guidelines state and why “significant social media” platforms akin to Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, amongst others are mentioned to be banned in India. Read on.
- 1) Let’s return to the beginning. On February 25, the federal government of India introduced a recent set of IT guidelines to be adopted by all social media platforms working in the nation. The authorities had introduced that social media platforms will have to adjust to the brand new IT guidelines by May 25. The new IT guidelines and pointers have come into impact beginning today, May 26.
- 2) As per the IT guidelines, huge tech corporations, the federal government calls them “significant social media”, ought to have a chief compliance officer in India who can rapidly reply to authorities calls for and wants as and when required.
- 3) Under the brand new IT guidelines, the federal government has requested these social media platforms to rent a nodal officer, who will coordinate with regulation enforcement companies around the clock, each time the federal government requires.
- 4) The social media corporations have additionally been requested to rent a grievance redressal officer. The officer, the federal government mentioned, will assist social media customers with their grievances.
- 5) Under the brand new IT guidelines, the federal government has requested social media corporations akin to WhatsApp to make sure that they’ll hint a message to the unique sender. In different phrases, this merely means breaking the end-to-end encryption on messages, which is extraordinarily difficult for messaging instruments like WhatsApp. Over the previous few months, WhatsApp has been below super stress as a consequence of it’s new privateness coverage, which got here into impact on May 15.
- 6) There are some OTT platforms akin to Netflix, amongst others which have complied with the Indian authorities’s new set of IT guidelines. There are huge tech corporations like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and extra which have nonetheless not complied with the IT guidelines. However, Facebook on Tuesday mentioned in an official assertion, “we aim to comply with the provisions of the IT rules and continue to discuss a few of the issues which need more engagement with the government.”
- 7) So, corporations which have complied with the brand new IT guidelines will perform with no interference by the federal government. But, which will not be the case for those that don’t adjust to the brand new guidelines. Does it imply, social media platforms that don’t observe the brand new IT pointers will be banned in the nation? Well, no, nothing of that kind will occur, a minimum of not proper now.
- 8) To know whether or not there are possibilities of Twitter and social huge social media platforms to be blocked in India or not, we will have to first perceive the sub-section (1) of Section 79 of the IT Act. To make it easy for you, the clauses in the IT Act principally gives safety to social media corporations and streaming providers by making them “intermediaries”. In different phrases, intermediaries are in no manner chargeable for person content material. So, social media platforms that don’t adjust to the brand new IT guidelines will lose the safety that intermediaries get below the IT Act.
- 9) So, what occurs when a social media platform or a streaming service lose the intermediaries safety? Well, in such a state of affairs, these social media platforms might be dragged right into a court docket at any given level and prosecuted utilizing the relevant legal guidelines.
- 10) While not complying to the brand new IT guidelines can permit the federal government to take severe motion towards the massive social media platform, nonetheless, it doesn’t actually imply a lot to the top customers. So, Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp or every other platform which have nonetheless not complied with the brand new IT guidelines and pointers will proceed to work in the nation, in reality, it’s nonetheless working now that the brand new IT guidelines have come into impact. However, it must be famous that these platforms will proceed to work till the federal government of India doesn’t go towards them. Well, that additionally seems unlikely given how necessary a task these platforms play in our lives nowadays, particularly Twitter that updates customers with all kinds of details about the continued COVID-19 state of affairs in India and different issues.
So, chill out there, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and all different huge social media platforms will not stop working in India. At least, there are not any official phrases on the identical from the businesses or the Indian authorities proper now.